Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Island in the Sun

I think the sign of a great vacation is the inability to fully describe it. . .the lack of words I have for this past week in Corolla, NC on the Outer Banks with our friends Cheryl and Brenda is due to the overwhelming, wordless sensation of having been somewhere that you just have to see with your own eyes to fully appreciate.  Needless to say, we had a wonderful, relaxing, sunshine soaked week, full of sandy memories, savory food and drink, and lot of laughs. I hope the following pictures (in no particular order because, frankly, I am exhausted) can convey the dreamy week of ocean living we had. Can't wait to be back there!


We rode in B & C's 4 wheel drive truck past the main road to the northern part of the outer banks, in search of the wild horses. . .
. . .which we saw! 

Cheryl, Brenda, and Lily on the beach.
Loving on Arlo, the original beach pug.
Lily in the evening. . .
. . .and Lily in the morning.
Merritt celebrated his 1st birthday at the beach! Lucky little man!
Wave crashers.

Arrrrrrgh. Even pirates get sleepy!
Me, David, and Gavin out on the ocean in the kayaks. We had dolphins surfacing around us. Completely magical.
David and I (don't we look RELAXED?!?!?) went out to dinner. Alone. (Thank you Brenda and Cheryl for watching the boys!!!).
Wave watchers.
On the soundside near the lighthouse.
Daddy time.

One of the many sunrises I saw each morning with my coffee. . .
Merritt and Daddy.

Cheryl and Gavin with their early morning catch.
One of the MANY yummy meals we had together. Steak. Lobster. Scallops. Grilled Chicken. The list goes on and on. Yum.
I love this picture of David. . .

Now look in the distance of this picture - can you see the crab looking out of his hole at Gavin in his hole???
Of course, we had the occasional crab in our pool, too. I tended to find them with my feet.
Arlo, too, enjoyed watching the crabs. And chasing the crabs. And eating the crabs, along with massive mouthfuls of sand.
Speaking of sand, can you see the amount of sand in Merritt's hairline?!?!?

No comments: