Sunday, January 15, 2012

laundry room reveal

I am an HGTV, DIY home improvement blog nerd. I love that stuff. Ever been to Young House Love? Yeah, don't. Unless you want another blog to obsessively check 3 times a day, like I do. I just love a good project, a good clean, a goodly amount of organizing. It's an illness, I am convinced.
Our laundry room is an actual ROOM, which I love, and it is also 'home base' for everyone - where we put on/take off shoes, where Arlo eats, where the mail and school papers and backpacks and coats and dirty laundry and clean laundry and random little items that can't find a home anywhere else congregate. So despite that fact that it is a great room, it has major messy potential. But I actually LOVE going in there, because it is one of the only rooms in the house that gets an AWESOME sun beam all morning coming through the window. Arlo digs it too, as the tile gets quite toasty.
So, we set out to make a few changes to warm it up and make the everyday chores a little more enjoyable. We bought a wall cabinet from IKEA with gray doors to match the counters. We also got a heavy-duty canvas rolling laundry cart (got the idea off Pinterest) from Restoration Hardware, which is super functional but easy on the eyes. I gave in to all the 'collections' of seashells, coins, acorns, and other tiny treasures my woodland creatures have presented to me, and gathered them all up in glass Ball jars for little eyes to gaze at and sort at their whim. A gallery of sentimental pictures and cards were framed and hung, and the boys' cubbies offer a place for all their bags, coats, and random items. On top, mail, school papers, and 'to-do's gather in trays. ahhhhhh.
Like I said, I am a nerd.
A happy nerd who now loves to do her laundry.

No comments: