Monday, November 25, 2013

this boy

Oh, Ian. You make us laugh.

Tonight, at dinner, he was explaining how a buddy came in with a new haircut today.
"Yeah," he said matter-of-factly, "he got the bowl version."

He was also busted, big time, for a super sneaky slip-of-an asparagus spear under the table to Arlo (really, Arlo? asparagus?). The first time, he said with a very straight face but a glimmer in his eye, "No, it fell from my fingers." When I falsely accused him the second time (which he then proved that he actually ate it because, well, he opened his mouth and showed me…), I said, "but Arlo is eating something, Ian." To which he replied, "No, mom, he is chewing his tongue."

He tells me multiple times a day, "Mom, you are the greatest mom in the whole world." It melts my heart and also terrifies me for the day when he realizes I am, indeed, not. But for today, to him, I am perfect. And that makes me smile, even when the food 'falls' from his fingers into the mouth of Arlo.

No comments: