Tuesday, October 2, 2012

angry eyes and sharp teeth

For quite some time, Merritt has had a signature art style. Everything he creates has very sharp teeth, and usually has, as he calls them, 'angry eyes'. I think it is absolutely hilarious, and certainly original. And I love that I always can identify his art on a wall full of kindergarten art at school.
So, when he came home and said he wasn't allowed to make his 'Uncle Sam Bear' with angry eyes or fangs, I had some thoughts regarding freedom of speech and artistic expression running through my head. But he said, with a twinkle in his eye as if he could read my thoughts, "I drew it normal, but I gave him teeth...really sharp teeth." That's my boy!
Observe some recent art...






This Uncle Sam button probably started the new rule. 
I might wear it on Election Day, depending on the results.

1 comment:

Kelly Jernigan said...

I am totally laughing out loud about this, and wishing I could share some of Wyatt's art work with you right now - he does the same thing!! He's really into fangs, but also braces - how random. I suppose now that those two are sitting together this month, we might see even more "sharp teeth" artwork...