Wednesday, January 23, 2013

our storm

Whenever we might have some inclement weather here in sunny NC, people go out and buy milk and bread. I heard the forecast and decided I needed to get to the wine store and stock up. Priorities, people.(Relax, I had just purchased groceries a few days prior. No one was going to starve. Even if we got 2 inches of snow.)
Well. The temp started falling last Thursday night, and the wind started blowing. Pretty exciting! Maybe we will see snow! I [stupidly] promised the boys that I would wake them in the night if we got snow so they could see it and play a bit (the ground was still warm and there wasn't much of a chance it would accumulate). David was at a meeting and I was upstairs getting the boys ready for bed. 7:25.
Suddenly, the power went out. And the boys FREAKED because WOW it was dark. I could hear freezing rain on the windows and all of our smoke detectors started to chirp and we didn't have lots of new batteries and half our flashlights were out or dying and I called David and said, "GO TO HOME DEPOT." So...perhaps I should have done a few more errands besides the wine store....
But we got the boys bundled and asleep and we turned the gas fireplace on and poured a couple glasses of wine, and it was amazing how quiet and dark the house was! Arlo kept us warm and we slept so nicely...until 4:30 when all the lights and the dishwasher abruptly came on!
Our snow ended up to be ice, but the boys insisted on going out to play in it before school started on a two hour delay. My poor winter-deprived children.

 BRRRR!

No comments: