Friday, January 10, 2014

2014

Happy New Year! It's 2014! Wow! Wait, it's been 2014 for 10 days? Oh. 

We had a blast ringing in the new year with some great friends, and this was the first year that ALL THREE OF OUR KIDS made it to midnight. Gav was at a sleep over and Merritt and Ian along with their buddies made it all.the.way.to.midnight.  The end of an era.

***********

Does this look safe? Yeah, that's because it probably isn't. Riding down the hill sitting on a skateboard. What you can't see is the series of cones they have down the middle of the road that they weave in and out of. While racing. Nope, that isn't too safe either. Yay for helmets and protective gear (and sleepy cul-de-sacs!)! Something tells me that the luge is going to be a very popular Winter Olympic sport to watch in this household.
************

I want to write more of these scattered little posts this year. I have lots of little thoughts to jot down, but rarely any big thoughts. Sigh, that didn't come out right. 

************
Today I headed back to the gym. I haven't been there in about 9 months. The weather is always so great here. Usually.  I love to run outside and I do kettlebell classes twice a week. But every January, we hit a cold rainy spell. I like to run in warm rain and I don't mind running in cold weather. But rainy cold weather? No thanks. So today my run got shifted inside to the treadmill. And after a quick 3 miles, I decided, "Hey, maybe I will try a spinning class!" 
Fast forward to class: my quads were burning, my heart was pounding, and I was hating myself for leaving my water bottle on the floor behind my bike. And then the teacher cheerfully said, "All right class, now that you are warmed up, the class will begin!"

*************

The kids went back to school on Monday. Except Ian. Little Ian woke up with a horrible case of bilateral pink eye on Sunday morning. I took him to the pediatrician on Monday morning, and during their routine exam…she discovered a foreign object in his ear! What?! Her description: 
"Well, it is hard, metallic in color, and has a number one on it!"
We visited the ENT on Wednesday, and yes, it was hard, metallic, and had the number one on it, laying right on his eardrum.
A Playmobile toy coin.
(this wasn't the actual coin. that would be gross. we left that at the doctor's office.)
When asked how it got there, the best he could offer was, "Maybe it was in my bed?" If he has any recollection of the event, he is an excellent liar. Who knows how long it has been there. We have had that Playmobile set for a year. 
He is, however, the child who said a lego fell up his nose.

*************
I really want to blog more this year. I also want to drink more water. And get more sleep. And take more pictures. And get my own skateboard. And garden more.  I refuse to call any of those resolutions, because I would still like to be doing them after January. 

*************

There! I finally posted in 2014! Pressure is off! Happy New Year!

No comments: