Thursday, December 16, 2010

Diary of a snow day.

Wait. Did I say snow? It really should have been called a "snow day but not really kids even though you see snow it is really now freezing rain and no you may not go outside because I said it is raining now because it is raining now because I SAID SO" day. I totally hosed myself because I ran to REI yesterday and bought boots and snow pants to avoid the completely frozen children of last snowstorm because we didn't own any of that northern apparel. And of course the kiddos LOVED their new snow gear. And couldn't wait to test it out. In the snow. On their snow day. You get my point.

The morning actually started out OK. I plodded out to the kitchen at 5:50, as usual, making a beeline for the coffee pot and then taking a detour to the computer to check the school status. Merritt - no school. Gavin - delayed. Booted David out of bed for his commute, made breakfasts, checked computer again. Gavin - no school. David gone, kids up, TV on (because cartoons seem much less sinful on snow days, thank you very much). Wrote a few emails. Marveled at how nice it was to still be in my PJs. Made pancakes, played with the kids, did some laundry and dishes, checked my email about a thousand times (hey, it's my link to the outside world). Wow, good thing it is almost lunchtime, I thought as I looked at the clock...

Actual text to David: OMG, it is only 8:30.

8:30?!?!? Somehow, someone slammed on the brakes and my glorious snow day was turning into a lifetime prison sentence. How can that be??? I found myself thinking bitter thoughts towards my friends with older children. You know, the kind that sleep in and entertain themselves.

Somehow, we made it through. A few nicely timed phone calls, more TV time than I care to admit, lots of time in the playroom, and even some brotherly cooperation and playtime. Hey, I even managed to get my laundry done and go through all the boys clothes to weed out summer gear and too-small gear and reorganize their drawers and closets (thank you, coffee). Because this is my blog, I don't have to mention the yelling, the fights, and the nonsense that goes along with being trapped in the house with 3 boys all day. And I can show happy pictures with fun captions, too. Which I will now do...
Snow! Snow? Oh no...

Personalized pancakes. This was pre-8:30 text message. When I was feeling nostalgic and giddy because it was a snow day.

Look! They are working together!! Take a picture! The boys had such a blast building this. I had been sorting clothes and was shocked when I walked back into the playroom to see their structure.
I was less shocked to see that the intent was to send trains careening off the end.
It was pretty cool.

Mid-afternoon respite. Can you spot the two nappers? Immediately after the flash went off Merritt's head snapped up and I dropped to the ground behind the half door. I can't believe my brazenness. It almost cost me nap time. Anything for the blog, I suppose.

Not sure where the afternoon went. Supper making, laundry folding, dish washing, obsessive email checking. These pics were taken at 5:45 as we waited for Daddy to come home. Note they are not lacking any energy at this point! I am sure my 'snow' day didn't look any different than any other mommies out there. So I lift my wine glass to all of you out there, trapped in your homes because the weather man says we are. Cheers to three sleeping children!

No comments: