Wednesday, March 2, 2011

accessorize your gender role

I gave in to a craving for McDonald's today, convincing myself that it would make Merritt really happy. The bonus was that Ian loves fries, so look - I made 2 kids happy. Good thing I had that quarter pounder with cheese. I wouldn't want to make my children unhappy.
While eating, Merritt asked me what was on the girl side of his 'appealing to both genders' happy meal box. It was at that moment that I realized that I tend to disregard all things girly when they come into my home (OK, except the occasional catalogue, although I still tend to lean towards Title 9 than Victoria's Secret). Incidentally, the side he was referring to had Barbie on it. For those who didn't know me in my previous life, before I was flooded with all things 'boy', I should mention here that I used to be ALL ABOUT Barbie. Loved it. Had probably 50 of them. My Dad even built me the mansion of all Barbie mansions, and my mom and I decorated it and I played with it well into junior high. In fact, I lived a double life during those awkward years - I had a boyfriend named David (yes, that David) and I played Barbies.
So, in trying to explain to Merritt this mysterious world of Barbie, I was forced to look longer than a split second at this now foreign, pink side of the Happy Meal box. And this is what it said, "BECOME A FAIRY. Carrie is a purse fairy because her favorite accessory is a purse. Taylor is a shoe fairy because her favorite accessories are shoes. What kind of fairy would you be?"
After half laughing and half gagging, I contemplated this question. Based on my favorite accessory, what kind of fairy WOULD I be? Well let's see, I think my favorite accessories would either be a coffee mug or a wine glass, based on the time of day. Does this define my life as a fairy? So I am a caffeine-driven pixie or a wino with wings? Wait, why am I a fairy? These deep questions trouble me. I think I will stick to my more comfortable blue side of the box with trucks on it.
---------------------------------------------
This may be an appropriate time to quote Merritt, who declared the other day,
"When I grow into a daddy, I get to go to work.
When girls grow into mommies, they get to stay home."

I guess I could get a little stay-at-home mommy chip on my shoulder from that comment, but honestly, I probably don't have any fresh spackling to fill it with, as none of those lids ever go back on right. So I won't bother. I will just go pour myself a glass of wine. Or coffee.

Besides, this is also the kid who told me the other day,
"It's like meatball clouds are coming out of my eyes when I blink them really fast."

Wine it is.

5 comments:

Krista Lucas said...

can i come have coffee/wine with you when i'm in nc in april??? :)

Kelly Jernigan said...

I had to comment because this post had me laughing out loud! I love that Merritt said "When I grow into a daddy" - Wyatt always says this phrase and it always makes me chuckle.

Amy said...

meatball clouds, eh? man, I miss that kid :) hope you guys are well!

Carla said...

I was just reading Forbes Life and they mentioned that stay-at-home mom is a 'status symbol.' Sort of like ... a porsche, right? : )

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Time for a showing of "Free to Be You & Me," looks like. And for another glass of wine.

xofrances