Gavin
You would never forget that my alpha male is my first born. He takes pride in oldest brother status and can be an excellent example to his younger siblings, especially when it comes to eating his veggies, being incredibly enthusiastic about everything, and having a passion for learning sports. Every school year is his favorite, and I have to put the mean mommy face on to get him to stop reading and turn his light off at night. He still hates getting his hair cut and had his first cast this year to mend a broken arm from a playground soccer mishap. This year he has played lacrosse, soccer, basketball, and baseball, and at any given moment he can be found with some type of sports equipment nearby. He also recently ran a 5k. He is a pretty cool kid, but sometimes I have to remind myself that he is a pretty cool kid. He is, after all, 8...
Merritt
Oh Merritt. My 4 year old. If someone had taken a mold of David 30 years ago and then tried to reproduce him now, Merritt would be the final product. Merritt is sweet and sneaky, and full of creative plans. He LOVES art and no piece of paper is safe around him (especially if there is a pair of scissors nearby, too). He was completely over the moon to start pre-k at Gavin's school this year, and adores his class and his teachers. This past summer we discovered that he is actually part fish, and we are now discovering he is also pretty handy with a tennis racket. He loves Star Wars and castles and putting rocks in his pocket. He often says "oh my gosh" and has the most infectious laugh. Though David has suggested we stop using the word 'quirky' to describe him, I still lovingly use the word to describe him (and to describe David, too).
Ian
The Bean. My sweet baby. I can hardly believe he is 2 1/2. Everyone has a hard time believing it, since he acts way older most of the time. He is obsessed with Legos, Star Wars, sticks, eating snacks, and doing everything his older brothers do. I sincerely think Ian will be an athletic force to be reckoned with...he already cradles a lacrosse ball and hits a baseball with the bat when pitched to. He happily hops out of the car at preschool twice a week and takes a chunk of my heart with him. He is always last to fall asleep of the boys, and serenades us from his bed with top-of-his-voice tunes like the Imperial March and B-I-N-G-O. He makes us laugh often and cannot stand to be away from Gavin and Merritt. We all think he is just the coolest 2 year old ever.
******************
David and I are getting ready to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary, and this year marks 20 years together. He is still my best friend and one of the hardest workers I have ever met. He is enjoying his job and I appreciate that he enjoys his job! And I appreciate that he recognizes what I do as a job, although I often get to do it in my yoga pants. Each of us has had the opportunity to get away a couple times this year, but separately...it's pretty hard to get away together, minus children! Though, I think we both agree that we are most relaxed on our sofa, together, in front of the fireplace...while the kids are asleep in their beds.
Life is good. Messy? Yes. Sometimes frustrating and busy? Absolutely. But so very good. We hope you can say the same and that your 2012 brings funny stories and happy laughter-induced tears. Thank you for reading our blog and sharing this little piece of our life with us!


1 comment:
What a beautiful post! I have tears in my eyes, a laugh in my throat and just a warm fuzzy feeling when you talk about your boys, marriage, best friends, and yes, snot!, et al. Dave and I have been so blessed by your friendship and we hope our paths continue to cross...up north!
Post a Comment