Monday, December 9, 2013

It's that time again, really?

Today was one of those days. Not one of those days, but one of those days where I ran approximately 142 errands and was wildly successful. I did Walmart, Target, the hardware store, Barnes & Noble, Harris Teeter, Party City, and the post office. Twice. The first time I was at the post office….I mailed the Christmas cards! Woohoo! And then tonight as I was having my own personal "I accomplished so much today" celebration, it occurred to me that our blog address was on our Christmas card, as always, and I haven't really been that interesting of a blog poster lately. Compared to some of my favorite daily reads, my blog is actually pretty lame. Though, it is a fun way to share stories and pictures with family and friends and keep a sweet little record of our family along the way. But this is the obligate update post, where I want to welcome you if you have never read this blog before. In 2014, I promise to add more posts. For real this time, maybe. Sigh.

Remember how little and cute they were???

I still think they are pretty cute (99.9% of the time) but wow, they aren't so little anymore!
Take this guy for instance.
 My Gavin. The Gavster. The Gavinator. Gav. Middle schooler! Rocked his first report card with 3 A's and 3 A+'s. This boy is LOVING independence. In need of a big brother, but how do we fix that? Obsessed with lacrosse, and reading, and anything outdoors, especially if it involves using any of his dad's tools. My little guinea pig, leading me into the pre-teen years kind of kicking and screaming but also kind of loving it. He still has plenty of kisses and hugs for me, and the conversations can get deep at times, but then I see him playing on the floor with his brothers and I remember that 10 isn't that old after all.

On to the middle one...
 Mr. Merritt. M. A mini-me of David. Lost in his thoughts a good share of the time, constantly dreaming up schemes and plans. Hard to get a hug out of this one, although, he keeps his little brother fiercely close and I find him asleep on Ian's pillow most nights. Increasingly athletic and competitive, yet gentle and encouraging at the most unique times. Loves drawing, reading (started Harry Potter!) and   still takes great pride in his crazy bone-finding skills on the farm (don't ask).

Oh, my baby...
 The Bean. Ian. Full of smiles and sugar and hugs. If you give him something special, his first response is to ask if his brothers can have it too. Desperate to be big, but I told him he cannot get any bigger than this. No way. Before he turned 4, he could swim and ride his bike. But don't you dare ask him to go into a dark bathroom alone. He loves anything that involves drawing and his new-found skill is cutting snowflakes out of paper (you should see the carnage on the playroom floor).

And finally, us.
 We are still us. Celebrating 15 years of marriage in a few days (but it's been a fun 23 years so '15' doesn't seem to reflect that!). David likes his job and doesn't hate his commute (NPR and a latte in a quiet car? yes, please). He just told me I wrote that last year, but it remains true (shoot, did I?). The boys consider him the fun one. He is. I am supposed to be more relaxed this year with 3 kids now in school. Somehow I am busier than ever but in a really awesome way. Relaxed? If you know me, you know that isn't really in my DNA, but life is good. Still running, still purging the house of clutter (it should be empty by now, really),  loving my involvement at the kids' school. 2014? Maybe I will update the blog more. Maybe we will get a puppy. Maybe I will take a nap. Maybe I will remember to not write the same things in my yearly update. 

Cheers, y'all! Have a Wonderful Holiday Season! Wishing each of you a blessed and joyful 2014.
What are you going to do in 2014?

No comments: