Yes, you read it right - we got snow! And, of course, all the schools closed before the snow began last night. Which equals one big day of cabin fever, romps in the snow, and hot chocolate, not neccesarily in that order. I have been reminded why I no longer live in the north. . .
I do admit, it was quite pretty and awe-inspiring around 5:30 this morning. . .
. . .but frankly, after getting the kids in and out of layers and running the dryer multiple times today, and having cold feet that I can't warm up, and cleaning David's car off this morning, my attitude is this: the snow was pretty, but now it can leave. Quickly, so we have school tomorrow.
It was really special to see how excited Gav was, though. At 5:40 this morning as I was trying to sneak downstairs in the dark for coffee and quiet time, Gav practically ran full force into me, coming to excitedly report that it indeed snowed. The weatherman had a moment of glory. I turned him back around and sent him to bed, telling him it was still the middle of the night.
Later in the morning, when there was enough accumulation to play, we headed out. The first thing we tried (after Gav did a few snow angels, of course!!) was to make maple syrup candy in the snow like they do in the Little House on the Prarie books. It was yummy, but we determined it probably worked a lot better in the freezing cold woods of Wisconsin. Alison joined us for snow play and hot chocolate, too.


I wish I could report that Merritt adored the snow and didn't want to go back inside, but what can I say? He was born in North Carolin and was made for the beach, not the arctic.
Yes, I got hit with quite a few of these. Don't worry. I took him out a few times myself.



No comments:
Post a Comment