This year marks an important milestone - my Gav is going to away camp for a week, for the first time ever! Except, he wasn't supposed to go until the last part of July. Until we decided to change it around so he could play with his lacrosse team in Philadelphia that week. Did I mention that the change was confirmed this Thursday, and we dropped him off today? Thankfully, when we told him Thursday afternoon, he was sooo excited that he didn't even flinch about the fast forwarding of plans. I may have slightly panicked a bit, but in hindsight it was like ripping off a bandaid - now that he is at camp and we are back home I am glad the painful part of kissing him goodbye is over and not something I am going to worry about for the next 3 weeks!
When we arrived at camp, we unloaded his gear and met his counselors and admired his air-conditioned amazing cabin (my, things have changed since I went to camp!). That took all of about 3 minutes, and then I stood there for about 20 seconds and watched him dig out his bedding from his chest to make his bed. What I really wanted to do in that moment was take the sheets out, make his bed for him, sit down with him, give him a huge hug, and kiss his warm little head.
But instead, I said, "Hey Gav, would you like us to leave now?"
And he said, with a mix of relief and laughter in his voice, "Yes."
And he walked us to the car, kissed us, fist-bumped his brothers, and slipped back into the cabin with the door closing gently behind him.
And that was that.
My baby is at camp, and I am at home.
And both of us are growing up a little bit this week.

No comments:
Post a Comment