Saturday, June 20, 2009

Da Bulls

Gav and I went on a little date last night to the Durham Bulls game. It was nice to be focused on him and not planning for the next mini 2 year old-associated disaster looming around the corner. Plus, I really wanted to sneak in some boy time with Gav before Ian makes his debut. It's not fair that Daddy always gets to take him to the baseball games!
Gav has become quite the baseball obsessed 5 year old. I recently bought a book about baseball written by major leaguers for kids that talks about technique and the game, and the other day he winged a 4 seam fastball at David. He is a quick learner.
Here is a sample of conversations we had last night at the game:

Mommy: "Look Gav, that player is a left handed hitter."
Gavin: "No mom, he is a switch hitter." [mommy flipping through Durham Bulls booklet to check validity] "See his helmet, mom? He has ear flaps on both sides." 

Mommy 0  Gavin 1

Mommy: "PLEASE Gavin may we go use the potty and get something to eat???" [it was, after all, the bottom of the 4th inning]
Gavin: "No, mommy, I don't want to miss any of the game."
Mommy: "Let's make a deal, how about we go after the Bulls hit again?"
Gavin: "Sigh. . .OK."
Mommy 1  Gavin 1

Mommy, cheering loudly for our team.
Gavin: "Wrong team, mommy."

Mommy 1  Gavin 2

As usual, Gavin wins by one.



Doing the YMCA with Wool E. Bull.

Watching the pitcher with his binoculars.

Pulling out the rally cap for the bottom of the 9th.
Despite the 8 - 6 loss, the game was great and the fireworks afterward were amazing. We had a blast and I think mommy may have earned a few 'boy' points overall.

1 comment:

Krista Lucas said...

what fun, sarah! i can't wait to take my boys out for dates. ;)